27A – Reading Reflection No. 3

How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams

1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
Soctt Adams , the creator of the cartoon Dilbert , shared how he coped with many failures, being a serial failure. He talks about the strategies he used embrace his failures and overcome them.

2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I believe that it helps with improvements on an idea. It supports the idea of taking in criticism without being defensive and not getting discouraged but using it to our advantage to generate a better solution.
It also helps with managing expectations and creating milestones during the difficult journey of entrepreneurship.

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
Have students create a system to find flaws/improves for their idea/brainstorming sessions and at the end they can see what changed and has not.
It also could be specific like creating a system to network with people.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
There was a part about using space and time to manage your energy and that the author says you should "find your energy" instead of your passion. I always had many things that I would say I was passionate or liked very much but never really had the drive or now I would says energy to pursue it. The current idea I have which I believe I am very passionate about is driving me to want to do more , to talk about it , to create something. I am gaining energy to do all this things revolving my idea.




Comments

  1. Hi Cory! I liked your take on the book. Your insights are very interesting. From what you had to say, it sounds like this book is extremely relevant to the class. All of the posts we make over the time in this semester is dedicated to creating and fine tuning our ideas. We meet failure in interviews and take criticisms from comments to better ourselves and our businesses. Your example of an exercise for the class sounds like an interesting idea! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cory! Wow, I want to read this book now. I love your class idea about recognizing flaws. This would help students reflect and grow. Accepting weaknesses is key. Scott Adams seems to have many interesting strategies he uses to embrace his failure. I think the keyword here is embrace. Learning to accept your failures is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cory,
    This seems like a great book and having heard Scott Adams on a few podcasts it was a book I really considered for this assignment. He has some interesting views on reading people and trends that have gained some traction. I had no idea he was a serial failure. Your aha moment from the book is a good pick and that insight seems very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (THE COMMENT ABOVE FROM "UNKNOWN" IS FROM ME , I WASN'T SIGNED INTO MY GMAIL) Hi Cory! Wow, I want to read this book now. I love your class idea about recognizing flaws. This would help students reflect and grow. Accepting weaknesses is key. Scott Adams seems to have many interesting strategies he uses to embrace his failure. I think the keyword here is embrace. Learning to accept your failures is vital.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment