21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman

1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?

It is about to ways of thinking or thought and the book explains the two systems that drive the way we think

"System 1" is fast, instinctive and emotional while "System 2" is slower, more deliberate, and using more logical thought.


2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?

Just as I have been thinking through my idea in the past several weeks and also talking to friends and entrepreneurs , I think that I needed the time to think of every aspect of my business idea. The business idea I had was instinctive and reactive to what I saw and experienced but I needed to "think slower" and deliberately to analyze all sides of the problems of setting up a "better" solution which was my idea.

3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?

It would be make students form teams
The first phase would give teams just 2 minutes to quickly build a mechanism/solution to prevent an egg from cracking that would be dropped from a high elevation.

The second phase would to give teams 15 minutes of discussion and building time to build their mechanism.

4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?

I sort of had an "aha" moment when I thought of the past of how I react when I am not prepared or put on the spot which is the "instinctive" and reactive part of how I think versus when I am more calm and prepared , given time to think through. Often I think my "solutions" are best when I combine both , as the book mentions both systems help us in our thought process.
Additionally, I can relate to it when I learn that sometimes you need a break from doing something and then you get that eureka moment after a while, which I would say it would be relying on system 1 to get creative ideas to solve a difficult problem

Comments

  1. Hi Cory! My favorite part of this post was how you related the book to yourself. You talked about how you needed to “think slower” with regards to your product. I often times feel the same way when thinking about my own product. As entrepreneurs, we tend to jump right in but there are so many minute details to focus on. Taking it slow can prevent problems, but thinking fast can help solve them. I really enjoyed what you had to say.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment